Loading...

Bombay HC’s Ultimatum to BMC: “Turn Back the Clock” or We’ll Step In Ourselves”

Bombay HC’s Ultimatum to BMC: “Turn Back the Clock” or We’ll Step In Ourselves”

The Bombay High Court has stepped in to protect a well-known football ground in Mumbai. It has stopped the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) from taking any more steps to turn the Neville D’Souza Football Ground at Bandra Reclamation into an exhibition and convention centre.

The Court’s Order

A two judge bench Acting Chief Justice Ravindra V Ghuge and Justice Gautam A Ankhad,  passed this interim  order on Thursday. The judges were unhappy that the BMC went ahead with its plan even though it had earlier told the court that it would keep the situation unchanged while the case was pending.

A two-judge bench of Acting Chief Justice Ravindra V Ghuge and Justice Gautam A Ankhad passed the interim order on Thursday. The judges were unhappy that the BMC went ahead with its plan even though it had earlier told the court that it would keep the situation unchanged while the case was pending.

This  order puts on hold a resolution passed by the BMC General Body earlier this week. The resolution sought to change the use of the 8,450 square-metre ground from a ‘playground’ to an ‘exhibition centre.’

The court has directed the BMC to file an affidavit explaining its position. It also said that no further action can be taken until the next hearing on September 18.

How the Case Started

The case was filed by the Mumbai Football Association (MFA), against the proposed change under the Maharashtra Regional and Town Planning Act. The dispute began with  a communication from MHADA in November 2025, followed by a recommendation from the BMC Improvements Committee in May 2026.  Both supported changing the use of the ground.

The Broken Promise

At an earlier hearing on August 10, the BMC had asked for more time to file its affidavit, and its lawyer had assured the court that no final decision would be made while the case was pending. Despite this, the BMC General Body still approved the proposal this week.

When the court asked how this happened, senior counsel Girish Godbole (for the BMC) said the Municipal Commissioner and other officials didn’t know about the promise made in court. The judges were not happy with this explanation and said the “majesty of law” was at risk when authorities go back on promises made to the court.

The court asked directly: “You tell us where the people will be playing football?”

On Protecting Open Spaces

The bench stressed how important it is to protect open and recreational spaces in Mumbai, so that  future generations can continue to use playgrounds and play outdoor sports.

The court said some land must stay open, or the next generation will forget what outdoor games and playgrounds even are.

The judges also warned they were ready to act on their own if their trust was broken again, saying that if elected officials or authorities disrespect the courts, it is a serious problem.  The court said that  unless the BMC “turned back the clock” to August 10, it would step in on its own.

BMC’s Defence

The BMC argued that the General Body’s resolution did not  immediately change the ground’s status. It said the resolution  only allowed a public notice to be issued to invite  suggestions and objections from the public. The BMC  said the actual change would  happen only  after the State Government issued a formal order.

MFA’s Allegation

Senior advocate Zal Andhyarujina, representing the MFA, claimed that BMC General Body members were told there was no court stay in place, which is why they went ahead with the resolution. This raised questions about how the earlier court proceedings had been communicated within the BMC.

When the court asked whether  the BMC could pause the resolution until the next hearing, Girish Godbole said this was not  allowed under the Municipal Act. He said the Commissioner cannot ask the General Body to cancel or pause a resolution that has already been passed on the basis of  a  properly circulated agenda.

MFA’s Main Objection

The Mumbai Football Association says the authorities did not conduct  a proper user survey, feasibility study, or sports impact assessment before starting the  process.

The MFA  argues that the ground is an important sports facility and that changing  its use  would badly affect football in the city.

About the Ground

The Neville D’Souza Football Ground is located at Bandra Reclamation and covers about 8,450 square metres. It is named after former Indian footballer Neville D’Souza.  The ground has  FIFA-standard artificial turf and can seat close to 5,000 spectators. It hosts  more than 900 official football matches every season,  making it a major sports  venue in  the city.

What’s Next

With this temporary order in place, the BMC now has to file its affidavit before the next hearing and explain both its position on the proposed change and why the General Body went ahead with the resolution  despite its earlier promise to the court.

Case Details: Mumbai Football Association v. State of Maharashtra & Ors.
Writ Petition (L) No. 27020 of 2026